The overall objective of the project is to contribute to the improvement of rural livelihoods (food security and farm incomes) and thus to the overall economic recovery of Afghanistan.
The purpose of the TA contract is to enable the perennial horticulture industry to respond efficiently to domestic and export market demands.
The main tasks is to help tthe Ministry of Agriculture Irrigation and Livestock (MAIL) during the process of transition in the implementation of the following activities:
• Support the MAIL in performing the public services for the horticulture industry
• Maintain and improve the full range of Afghanistan fruits and nuts trees crops variaties (National Collection of fruit varieties) in the PHD Centres and build the capacity to enable MAIL to take over this task.
• Support to the private nursery industry for the improvement of the quality of planting material.
• Foster the development of private sector association such as the Afghanistan National Nursery Growers Association (ANNGO) and of the Afghanistan National Horticulture Development Organization (ANHDO).
• Continue to develop skilled human resources for horticulture.
• Support and advice MAIL and EU ( European Union) in the process of transition of the EU agricultural projects and related services to MAIL.
The ervices provided are:
• Technical Studies (architecture, engineering),
• Project management/coordination,
• Project/programme ,
• Institutional capacity building/strengthening,
• Administrative assistance,
• Budget preparation and monitoring,
• Data management and processing,
• Installation of Equipment,
• Quality control
• Civil engineering,
• Agricultural Markets Standards,
• Farm Management, Horticulture,
• Support Services: Extension/ Crop Protection/ Agricultural Research,
• SPS( Sanitary Phytosanitary services)/Phytosanitary & Phytopathology,
• Laboratory/ Diagnostic / Set up,
• Building and developing local capacity,
• Procurement (tenders),